Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Critique 2






This Painting is called young love. The author is Ellen Lerner O’Donnell. This painting is of two children sitting on the beach during a sunny day. I think the medium is water color paints, I’m not sure though. The boy has his arm around the girl and the umbrella is shading them from the sun. You can see the ocean in the back round of the children. I really like this painting because it shows people that young people can be in love as well, it doesn’t matter on how old a person is.
This piece of artwork has very abstract colors that go very well together. Ellen did a very well job on balancing the colors and the details while painting her artwork. I think the focal point is the children and the waves in the background. I believe the waves represent calmness. There are many shades of colors in this painting; some examples are blue and purple. The highlight is the umbrella because it’s very bright and catches your eye when you look at the painting. There are many detailed lines within this piece of artwork. Ellen did a wonderful job on making very detailed and obvious shapes. There are many different tones of colors. The value is very obvious because the colors really stick out of the painting when you look at it. I think Ellen tried to be very visual with every line and detail she made while painting this. The juxtapositions the two kids sitting very close to each other.
When I first looked at this painting I thought it was very cute. The focal point is I random ball thing lying on the beach in front of the waves. When I looked at this image the first time my eye went right to the ball thing just laying there. I think the narrative is that even if you’re young you can still be in love; even though it may be puppy love it’s still possible. Also it shows that young people can have good and romantic memories as well. I feel that this piece of artwork is very strong in every aspect of it. I really like it because all the details and hard work paid off. I don’t think there are any weak points in the image besides the random ball thing; it could have been more detailed so I can actually see what the object is.

No comments:

Post a Comment